If you have come here to learn how to DIY evergreen garland for Christmas you have come to the right place! I have revamped the original tutorial with a video showing the tricks and techniques to make lovely, fresh evergreen garland for your home. You can watch the video below and scroll down for a list of supplies and detail photos. Or read the original How to Make Evergreen Garland or Swags post.
- 24 Gauge Floral Wire*
- Rustic Wire 18 Gauge* or Rope
- Pruning Shears*
- Gloves*: Wear the Gloves!!!!
- Evergreen pieces
Details: Starting the Garland
To start the evergreen garland make a loop with the thick wire. This will be useful for hanging your garland later and give you a base to anchor the floral wire.
Really, put on your gloves after this part. Otherwise be prepared for scratch, resin covered, hands.
Details: Wrapping the Evergreen
While, I may be awful at rapping, I am very good at wrapping. This simple step is all you need to repeat to make a beautiful hand tied garland.
- Evergreen items are cheap to free. Walk around your back yard. Ivy, pine, boxwood all make interesting additions. Ask you neighbors and make sure to just cut small amounts so it does not even appear that you have been there.
- Do not be afraid to decorate your garland. Additional branches, beads, and lights can make it look fabulous!
- Work outdoors if possible. While the video was taken inside due to the wind, you are going to have a lot of pine needles around your house from the construction.
- Gloves. I am bad about wearing them. Which is why my hands are always cut and rough.
Remember if you need a full pictorial tutorial you can get a recap of the video. Just visit my How to Make Evergreen Garland post.
Feel like it is too much to make your own garland? Well then read my tutorial on how to Make Artificial Garland Look Real for tips to cheat the DIY process and come out with beautiful Evergreen Christmas Garland.