The following tutorial shows how to create a folded paper star that was used in my Fourth of July mantel. The final star is raised, 3-dimensional, with 5 points.
Rectangle of Paper (ratio like 8.5 X 11 in but can be smaller or larger) The small stars in the above 4th of July mantel were a single sheet of 8.5 X 11 inch paper cut in half. Thick/Cardstock Paper* holds its shape well.
- Fold paper in half
- Take the left hand corner and fold it over to middle of the opposite side (halfway between 1 & 2)
- Take the point you just lined up halfway and fold it back on itself making a nice sharp crease from the point down
- Take the right hand corner that has just been hanging out till now and fold it as far over as it can go.
- Take that same point and fold it back on itself just like you did on step 3
Here is where the magic happens! Depending on how steep or shallow you cut the star will come out with fat or sharp points.
- Makes a fat almost round star
- Normal American Flag 5 pointed star. (try to make the angles match)
- Pointy Christmas Star
Voila, unfold and re-crease the points make a 3 dimensional point.
For good dimensional quality a thicker paper like a medium weight cardstock work the best because it holds its shape. Also making nice sharp creases makes the final folds look the best.